Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Speaking of Sci-Fi and Bible...

Hi all. Sorry I haven't been around, reading, posting, or commenting: I've been remodelling my basement, a full time job on top of a full time job.

I noticed J.T.'s post about Zelany's Ecclesiastes, and for some reason, it reminded me of a couple of books I haven't thought of in about four years.

Have any of you read Mary Doria Russell's works, such as The Sparrow or it's sequel, Children of God? These are really interesting books, and I'd love to either discuss them or spread the word. Also, if anyone has read anything else by her and likes it, I'd like to know.

3 comments:

JayT. said...

Hi Matt,

I don't read much sci-fi actually, but I'd love to hear what you have to say about the books you mention. I'm reviewing an article manuscript right now on religion in the new Battlestar Galactica series. I'm also catching up on the series in order to do so. It's fantastic, isn't it? I'm really impressed.

Matthew C. Baldwin said...

I actually haven't seen the series although I have heard great things. Can I rent it on Blockbuster or Netflix?

As far as these books go, they are really pretty awesome. We make contact with extraterrestrial intelligent life, and then a catholic missionary group is the first team from earth to make it to their planet. Their lack of knowledge about the culture of the alien world they visit gets them in a load of trouble, and not just physical... theological problems, principly, of course, theodicy, also trouble the group.

Matthew C. Baldwin said...

oh yeah and a guy wrote a piece on Battlestar Galactica for Sightings recently... I bet it's the same author. Since it's an anonymous review I assume, I won't send you a link.